REPORT SAYS DIVORCE AMONG BABY BOOMERS IS ON THE RISEPosted: March 4, 2012
According to the Wall Street Journal, a paper to be presented by sociologists from Bowling Green State University in April of this year concludes that divorces among the over 50 set have nearly doubled in the last two decades and the divorce rate for that age group is now at its highest level ever.
Among the highlights:
- By 2009 a quarter of divorces were between couples 50 and over, a dramatic increase from percentages less than a decade earlier.
- Among boomers, more women than men initiate the process.
- Infidelity ranks low as a precipitating cause of the breakdown, especially relative to the population in general.
- 53% of people in this age group initiating divorce have been divorced before.
- Having been married before quadruples the risk of another divorce for people over 65 and doubles the risk for younger baby boomers.
- Among those using on-line dating services, the over 50 group is the fastest growing.
The trend is attributed to a number of factors including changing expectations about the roles of men and women in marriage. Read the entire article here.